I’ve been a teacher for more than ten years. My teaching assignment for past 5 years has been middle school (grades 6-8) English Language Learners (ELL) English as a Secondary Language (ESL). I teach at a high poverty public school that has been recognized by the state of Oregon for its students achievements during the last three consecutive years. I feel very fortunate to have the opportunity to experiment with blended learning models using my classroom computer lab and one to one iPod Touches.
I enjoy sharing technology tools with my colleagues via this blog, social networks, and various workshops and classes I get to facilitate. Here are some of the topics and tools I’ve covered:
Topics: student engagement, blogging, managing and utilizing technology in the classroom, creating content and curating the web, saving time with technology, collaboration with technology, differentiation with technology, multimodal writing with technology, and probably several others that I can’t remember right now.
Tools: SMART Notebook, Edmodo, ClassDojo, Google Docs, Google Forms, Socrative, GoAnimate, KidBlog, Prezi, and various iPod Touch apps.
Here are some of the comments I’ve received from workshop participants:
- “I appreciate your patience and experience, Matt.”
- “Thanks for all your expertise.”
- “Great FUN!!!”
- “I feel so inspired by the possibilities…”
I’ve done some guest posts on other sites and writing for various magazines, and I am currently working on building an ed-tech startup called Vizaroo.
Here are some other places I’ve been published or mentioned:
- Edutopia.org: ”Teacher Reviews New Student Participation App”, 2/17/12
- Education Northwest Magazine (March 2012), “Literacy 2.0″, p. 16-18
- Today’s OEA (June 2012) “My Ed-Tech Journey: Overcoming Classroom Management Challenges”, p. 34
- GoAnimate4schools.com: ”GoAnimate Provides Speaking Practice for English Language Learners”, 7/16/12
Please contact me by filling out the form below. Thanks for collaborating with me!
This is my classroom: